History - packaging, and the 0.9 release
David Crossley
2018-08-07 03:23:05 UTC
I did some archeology detective work to find how we ended up with three separate release packages.

Aside: Way too much time wandering around broken email archives, grrr.
With some of the links, i at least used the Apache URL Shortener to go via the
Gmane message-id service. I found that some links to there do still work.
However, if they have gone then we should be able to get the message-id from
the Shortener (i thought that it was by appending "?action=display", but no)
and then use some other email archive to lookup with the message-id.
Surely lists.apache.org can do that but i cannot find how.

So on our download page we link to two separate packages:

apache-forrest-0.9-sources.tar.gz
apache-forrest-0.9-dependencies.tar.gz

Yet the $FORREST_HOME/main/build.xml only generates apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz

Our "How_to_release" doc does not mention the separate "*-sources" and "*.dependencies" packages.

Looking behind the scenes at:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/forrest/
Shows that the "*-sources" and "*.dependencies" packages are dated 2012-11-21
and the other one is dated earlier at 2011-02-01.

The date 2011-02-01 is our original 0.9 release date.

The source of our download mirrors page was edited around 2012-04-20
to link to those separate packages.

Going back to the mail archives around March April 2012 shows that we needed
to re-release 0.9:
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:55:13 +1100
From: David Crossley <***@apache.org>
To: ***@forrest.apache.org
Subject: [Proposal] re-release 0.9 with proper source code package
... jar files of dependencies -- they are NOT our product and they
MUST NOT be present in the source code package that is voted on for release.
We did our original release of apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz on 2011-02-01
then followed up with a proper "sources-only" release on 2012-04-19.

Note that the "How_to_release" doc and the main/build.xml have not been updated to do that.

Why were those packages amended on 2012-11-21?
I reckon that that is probably this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1239
utilise svnpubsub for Forrest distribution area

Then around 2013-11-29 a distribution maintainer asked about the separate packages
and could we provide a combined one:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1244
"Fat tar" for easier installation

I did provide the instructions there to enable one of the Forrest PMC to
combine the packages into one and deploy that to the dist area.
I presume that no-one did, otherwise the apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz
would have a date newer than the original of 2011-02-01.
So that is considered to be a convenience archive, but not the one called
for in FOR-1244.

Gavin commented yesterday in that FOR-1244 wondering about the release packaging.
I will link from there to here to help explain.

Good luck, i hope that this history helps.

-David
David Crossley
2018-08-07 03:53:10 UTC
One other discrepancy which would need to be fixed before the 0.10 release.

The distribution archives are not complete.

The listing here only contains the convenience package as explained below:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/forrest/0.9/

It needs to also have a copy of the 0.9 re-release as explained below,
especially the actual "*-sources" package.

The complete set of files are available at:
http://archive.apache.org/dist/forrest/
but they were not copied to the 0.9 space.

Perhaps there was a glitch with the archiving process around that time.

-David